Skip to main content

Lost in Hong Kong

My wife and I recently spent our honeymoon in Hong Kong. I thought it might be interesting to check out local audio shops.

My initial research took me to the Hong Kong Tube Audio Club webpage. In fact, I had subscribed to this yahoo discussion group maybe 10 years ago and forgotten about it. They have a handy guide for the audio enthusiast visiting Hong Kong.

Here is a reproduction of their guide map to Central (a district in Hong Kong):



I checked out locations 2-6. I was especially interested in #4, Vintage Sound. Unfortunately, this is what I found at 28 Pottinger Street (next door was a tofu shop with a long line):



The other locations on the map were now either high-end malls or Omega watch stores.

Later that night we took the train to Mong Kok (my favorite part of Hong Kong) to find the famous Tak Fat building mentioned here.



That's the Tak Fat building across the street (ignore the "food panda" please) and again there were no vintage audio shops to be found.

Obviously I used outdated sources and there is still a thriving audio culture in Hong Kong. Check out this excellent eye-opening blog post about Mr. Western Electric of Hong Kong. 

Thankfully, we still had a great time there and plan to return in a couple of years.

Comments