Skip to main content

Loading plugs

My wife recently bought me a Shelter 201 MM cartridge from Japan. Unfortunately, my tonearm probably isn't a great match, so I've put it on the backburner for now. However, reading through the manual reveals the following specs:

Shelter 201 Moving Magnet Cartridge Specifications:
Recommended Load Impedance: 50kohm

This presents a slight problem given that the "fixed stock" input resistance on my phono preamp is set at 270K ohms. I decided to create some loading plugs (easy enough) to change the resistance to the more standard 47K, so when the time comes to mount the Shelter cart - well, you get the idea...

Quickly browsing the internet, I came across the following formula for parallel resistors:

R = (R1 x R2) / (R1 + R2)

If the desired R is 47K and R1 is 270K, we then solve for R2, which should give us the value of the resistor needed for the loading plugs. In my case, R2 is 57K.

All that's left is to find two 57K resistors and solder them across RCA's like so:




Here's another (even easier) solution I've found that would allow fast swapping of various resistors:



These are easy to find on eBay, just search for "speaker cable wire to male RCA audio jacks".

Comments